“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” - Jawaharal Nehru

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake in NYC

I have to admit I never thought I would be in the city when a earthquake struck. Maybe the west coast but certainly not here.

Guess you can never be too sure of anything... because the city experienced an earthquake yesterday. Or more accurately tremors. The main epicenter was in Virgina.

Most of the quake was felt downtime and up to midtown. I work in the Upper East Side and didn't feel a thing. I didn't realize what happened until later when a patient called in and said she wouldn't be able to make the appointment due to the earthquake. I literally had to go online to CNN to make sure she was telling the truth!

Sure enough she was. You can imagine the social media sites ignited. I heard a lot of people say their initial reaction was the city was under attack. Which I guess is expected if you lived through 9/11. You just don't expect an earthquake... it's not the first thing that comes to mind.

I have heard and read stories about buildings shaking, being in the elevator alone and feeling it shake (which if that would have happened to me I probably would have blacked out), being on the streets with hundreds of people wondering what the hell just happened.

Definitely makes for an unexpected and interesting Tuesday. There's always something going on in the city!


No comments:

Post a Comment